Friday, June 5, 2015

Here Lately - Making Peace When Things Aren't Perfect

How is it already June?!? Seriously the last 2 months are a crazy blur but here we are the first week
of June. The fact I spent the last week sick as a dog is more than likely a result of those blurry weeks and my body saying enough is enough.

When I wrote about my 100 day progress I set new goals for the next 100 days. Since I'm just over 50 days into that time frame I decided to do a little check in to hold myself accountable.

   1. Eat more protein. Some days are better than others but I still need a lot of work here. What can I say, I'm a carb loving Polish girl! My plan now is to start trying to trick my mind into thinking I am getting tons of carbs while actually getting extra protein with things like protein pancakes! 

   2. Go to bed earlier.  Let's just skip this one for now. Its an area of opportunity to say the least. 

   3. Set a new half marathon PR.  Not yet and honestly it will be a stretch. I was supposed to run a night half at the end of May. A few weeks before I started having knee pain in both knees that I had never had before. Thankfully it wasn't my knees, but in fact extremely tight quads that were pulling on my knees. Silly me thought the tightness in my quads my legs firming up. Apparently it was just my muscles turning into rocks! ha! Since my coach, husband and doctor all encouraged me to sit this race out so I didn't run. As the temps start to rise I'm not going to put the pressure on myself to PR in a June or July race. If it happens, awesome. If it doesn't, that's okay too. I can chase that goal this Fall. 

   4. Prepare more meals.  Does reheating chicken count? 

   5. Keep making myself uncomfortable.  Without a doubt this is the one area I have forced myself to stick with. From taking part in small group discussions I would have normally only listened in on to going sleeveless somewhere other than the gym. I even tired sushi! Alone none of these things are life altering but they are positive growth that I wouldn't have ever imagined a year ago. 

So there it is. Things haven't gone smoothly or at all how I had planned them. Aside from those 5 goals I have struggled with some other areas as well. I've missed entering a few snacks and probably some wine into my food log. I have missed or cut short some workouts. I'm still not a domestic goddess. Things haven't been tied up in a pretty little bow. 


Writing it all out makes the little OCD Allie in my head start to freak out a little bit. She starts telling me that I have failed but for once I know I have made some significant personal growth because I can easily tell her to shove it. I wasn't perfect. I didn't completely stick to the plan. And that's okay. 

This journey is about long term life changes. It is about balance. It is about learning to truly live in the moment. This journey isn't a fad or a chapter of my life. Those are the reminders that give me peace when that nagging little Allie starts in on me. Life is messy, but that is what makes it beautiful and exciting! 

In the last 50 days:
  • I watched Kipper complete his second Half Ironman, 
  • I met new friends. 
  • I deepened my relationship of God. 
  • I stayed out way too late with girlfriends. 
  • I had incredibly meaningful and heartfelt conversations with my best girlfriends. 
  • I gave back to my community.
  • I shared treasured moments with family. 
  • I learned new things. 
  • I had adventures Princess Bryn. 
  • I tried new restaurants/food. 
  • I enjoyed the simple things. 
  • I lost 4 more pounds. 
  • I laughed till it hurt.
  • I bought new running shoes. 
  • I bought smaller pants. 
  • I looked in the mirror at the gym and for once the voice in my head didn't get in the way - I didn't completely hate what I saw (so I took a selfie to remember the day! Exhibit A)  
  • I danced myself silly. 
  • I ate WAY too much sugar. 
  • I ran some amazing and some not so amazing miles. 
  • I celebrated people I love. 
  • I cried both tears of joy and frustration. 
  • I fell in love with my job, again. 
  • I washed a lot of muddy paws. 
  • I made some questionable fashion statements. 
  • I found joy in my doodles and painting.
  • I have loved deeply.
  • I admitted my mistakes. 
  • I didn't give up. 
In the last 50 day I truly lived my wonderfully messy life! 


No comments:

Post a Comment