Sunday, April 7, 2013

Allie And The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad 10K


A few weeks ago AJ and I were talking about how we felt like we had taken a big step backwards in our running since Cowtown and we needed to get signed up for a 10K in order to motivate ourselves to stay on track. Within a few hours we were signed up for the Stockyards Easter Run 10K and got T to sign up for the 5K.

The morning came and I was excited, but a little nervous and rightfully so since my training since Cowtown had been nearly nonexistent. I was ready to push myself and have a good race, oh and push myself I did! The "good" race part, not so much. 

I timed out when to eat breakfast around the start time. So when 8:30am rolled around I was ready to go. 15 minutes later we are still standing around when they came over the loud speaker to say a train had broken down, blocking the route and they were working to get it moved!! 

50 minutes after we were supposed to start we were finally on our way!

The 6 miles that followed were brutal....using a nasty port-a-potty and throwing up were just a sampling of the fun!  I will save you from every detail  of how terrible it was, but I learned a lot about how to prepare/handle race situations better as well as about myself.


Basically this run was what do you get when you go from running 15-22 miles a week to four weeks of less than 5 miles a week, your nutrition is totally off, you haven't been sleeping well, your stomach is upset, the weather is in that post rain sticky phase and oh yea....there is a 50 minute train delay!

The craziest part of it all was that despite all the things that went wrong, I still set a PR for my official 10K runs! Granted this was only my second sanctioned 10K but who cares...a PR is a PR. And on a day like today, I'll take it anyway I can get it! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment