What started out as a cool vintage frame has ended up as the perfect headband organizer! Not only does it make it easy for me to keep them in one place, but it also helps keep the flowers/bows/feathers from getting messed up like they sometimes did in the baskets under the counter!
Here is a little run down of how to do this yourself!
Supplies you will need:
- Chicken Wire
- Staple Gun
- Pliers/Wire Cutter
- Fabric (I actually ended up nixing this)
- Nails (size depends on the frame/wood you use on the back)
- Wood pieces at least 1 inch thick (I used 4 wooden crosses I had from Micheal's and trimmed to points off with Chris' saw)
- Paint to match your frame
First turn the frame over, measure and cut the chicken wire to size. If you have a frame with ornate details you should put some padding down underneath it to protect it when you start stapling and hammering. :)
Then start attaching the chicken wire to the frame with your staple gun and trimming off excess wire. Start with one side and then do the side directly across from it second. You want to make sure that you are getting the wire pulled as tightly as you can without stretching it of shape.
When I first came up with this idea, I thought this would be final step...I didn't really think through the fact the frame to be at least an inch off the wall in order to get the headbands to slide through and hang. BUT if you are doing this for just bows or to use as a bulletin board with close-pins - That is all there is too it! :)
Since I wasn't prepared for this little roadblock Kipper helped me figure out the best way to fix the issue. I went to Hobby Lobby and Micheal's, but didn't find anything that I thought would work easily. I had decided I was going to have to take Kipper to the hardware store and we would have to get some big piece of wood to cute down. So the project sat for a week as I waited for a day we could go get this wood....
Then one night as I was getting something out of the garage a brilliant idea practically hit me in the face! (Well actually it did smack me in the forehead...I was getting a box down and another box slipped, hitting me in the forehead) I had some cheap wooden craft crosses that were the perfect thickness! So on a whim I popped the battery into Kipper's circular saw and trimmed two points off each of the crosses. (hopefully God isn't offended by this...I would like to think he would be proud of my problem solving skills)
After the pieces were cut I laid them out to where I was going to secure them. Once again, if you have an ornate frame, make sure to put some padding under it before the commence hammering! I put 3 nails in the L shaped corner pieces.You just need to make sure the nails you use are long enough to go though the wood pieces, but not so long the break through the frame!
After you have everything secured. Paint the wooden pieces to match the frame and let dry. Once it is dry you are ready to hang it up! Of course I am a sucker for bling so I decided to add a little sparkle to mine. I had some stones I took off a pair of old pageant earrings that I had sitting around for ages. They weren't flatback so they didn't work with most projects, but were perfect to fit into the little spaces on this frame.
And now the final product!!!!!!!!!!! While not ALL my headbands fit (I know, I know...I have over 100....some are ones I have had since High School but still love/wear them...it's a problem) all of the ones with some sort of bow/flower/feather do! The other ones stack nice and neat in a small basket under the counter with my hair clips.